The Beech Aircraft Company of Wichita, Kansas, designed the Beech 18 in 1936 for the small feeder airline market but sales really took off with the start of the Second World War. Beech won an USAAF contract in 1941 and the company eventually built more than 5,250 aircraft for the military under the C-45 designation. The Beech 18 was used to train pilots, navigators, bomb aimers and gunners, as well as serving as a military transport.
- Wingspan: 14.53 m
- Length: 10.44 m
- Powerplant: 2 x Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-1 Wasp Junior 9-cyl radial engines (340 kW ea.)
- Maximum Speed: 362 km/h
- Cruise Speed: 298 km/h
- Range: 1450 km
- Crew: 2
- Passengers: 6
Excerpt from Alberta Aviation Museum – 30 Years of Progress
Built continuously for more than 32 years between 1937-1969, Beechcraft’s Model 18 was one of the most used and versatile light aircraft ever made.
In 1966 southern Alberta entrepreneur Walter “Stubb” Ross purchased the museum’s Expeditor as surplus from the RCAF and established Lethbridge Air Service (LAS). RSX flew return flights between Lethbridge and Calgary twice per day, helping connect Lethbridge passengers to the larger hub of Calgary.
You can learn more about this aircraft by purchasing a copy of our 30th Anniversary Souvenir Book or by visiting the museum today!