Designed in England in 1931, the Tiger Moth was the primary trainer for the RCAF and all other Commonwealth countries through the Second World War. The Canadian version had a more powerful engine, enclosed and heated cockpit, brakes, tail wheel and the ability to operate on skis. The Tiger Moth was considered an ideal trainer because it was sturdy and forgiving. It was also difficult to fly well, requiring constant attention from the pilot.
The museum's airplane was one of more than 1500 built by de Havilland Canada at Toronto and was shipped to Edmonton in 1942 for #16 Elementary Flying Training School. Sold as war surplus like many hundreds of others after the war, it was eventually purchased by Norman Reid. Mr. Reid grew up in Edmonton and after training here and serving as a navigator in the RAF, became a highly successful engineer. He flew the airplane for some years in Victoria before donating it to the Alberta Aviation Museum.