The Viking was amphibious, which meant it could operate off water or land. It was a single-engine biplane with a nearly flat-sided hull. It was manufactured in Canada by Canadian Vickers utilizing durable, seasoned Canadian timber. Eight Vikings were ordered by the Canadian Air Force in 1923 and were operationally deployed from 1924 to 1931.
- Wingspan: 15.24 m
- Length: 10.41 m
- Powerplant: 1 x Napier Lion 12-cyl broad arrow engine (340 kW)
- Maximum Speed: 182 km/h
- Cruise Speed: 146 km/h
- Range: 1,489 km
- Crew: 1
- Passengers: 3
Excerpt from Alberta Aviation Museum – 30 Years of Progress
In 1922 the forestry company Laurentide bought a Vickers Viking Mk IV for aerial photography and mapping of their timber leases in Quebec. The aircraft could carry out in a week what took a crew on the ground two months. Laurentide sold G-CAEB to a Calgary company in 1926, who used it for northern mineral exploration. During this time, EB became the first aircraft to land at Cooking Lake.
The 7/8-scale replica of “EB” built for the 1992 film Map of the Human Heart is on loan courtesy of the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta.
You can learn more about this aircraft by purchasing a copy of our 30th Anniversary Souvenir Book or by visiting the museum today!