The Moth was a light biplane initially produced in England. By 1928, De Havilland Aircraft of Canada began to assemble Moth aircraft in Toronto and Moths became a standard trainer in the RCAF and flying clubs across the country.
Our Moth arrived at Blatchford Field in 1928, a year after the airport opened. It was one of the first aircraft to be operated by the Edmonton and Northern Alberta Aero Club.
- Wingspan: 8.84 m
- Length: 7.29 m
- Powerplant: 1 x ADC Cirrus III 4-cyl. inline engine (63 kW)
- Maximum Speed: 146 km/h
- Cruise Speed: 137 km/h
- Range: 515 km
- Crew: 1
- Passengers: 1
Excerpt from Alberta Aviation Museum – 30 Years of Progress
The de Havilland DH.60 was the first of the long “Moth” series of phenomenally successful light aircraft. It first few in 1925 and was immediately recognized as ideal for flying clubs. At only $5,000, it was affordable, it was simple to maintain, and its wings folded back for easy storage.
You can learn more about this aircraft by purchasing a copy of our 30th Anniversary Souvenir Book or by visiting the museum today!