The Avro Anson was developed from the company’s Avro 652 airliner in 1935 to fulfill the Royal Air Force requirement for a maritime patrol bomber. It was used briefly in that role at the beginning of the Second World War but its most important use was as a trainer for multi-engine pilots and aircrew.
- Wingspan: 17.22 m
- Length: 12.88 m
- Powerplant: 2 x Jacobs L-6MB 7 cyl. radial engines (250 kW ea.)
- Maximum Speed: 303 km/h
- Cruise Speed: 254 km/h
- Range: 1,060 km
- Crew: 3–4
Excerpt from Alberta Aviation Museum – 30 Years of Progress
The original BCATP agreement called for Britain to supply all the training aircraft, but the numbers were more than British factories could handle. Federal Aircraft of Montreal began building the Mk. II Anson in Montreal, with MacDonald Brothers Aircraft later producing the Mk. V in Winnipeg.
In all, Canada built more than 2400 Ansons. Following the war, the military unloaded thousands of Ansons as surplus for as little as $25. While some found work in burgeoning bush outfits and charter companies, many Ansons lay derelict in farmers’ fields across the prairies. The museum’s restoration team pieced our Anson Mk. II together from the remains of several abandoned aircraft.
You can learn more about this aircraft by purchasing a copy of our 30th Anniversary Souvenir Book or by visiting the museum today!