The American-made Waco (pronounced Wah!-koh) Standard Cabin Series biplanes were popular as private, corporate and charter operators.
Not only were companies realizing the value of aviation to move cargo, but that aircraft could be used for the speedy transportation of executives, mining engineers, and other key personnel. The Waco was a popular aircraft because it provided a relatively comfortable interior for its pilot and passengers.
The Waco's lower wing limited its usefulness on rugged undeveloped airstrips, unlike the more popular bush planes which featured a single high wing for better ground clearance. But airports, even primitive ones, were becoming more common during the late 1930's. This allowed utility aircraft like the Waco speedy access to those areas. With its creature comforts, the Cabin Series proved popular as executive aircraft. The museum's Waco UIC was originally owned by Duane Stranahan, the Champion Spark Plug Company magnate of Toledo, Ohio. The aircraft passed through a series of owners until Jack Johnson acquired and restored the aircraft in 1983, registering it as CF-AAW. Mr. Johnson kindly donated the aircraft to the Alberta Aviation Museum in 1996.